Jun 26 2008 By Peter Carroll
ANNIVERSARY OF TERROR ATTACK SIGNALS AIRPORT'S EXCLUSIVE
ALMOST one year on from the terror attack that sent shockwaves around the world, Glasgow Airport has been completely transformed says its managing director.
Speaking ahead of the attack's first anniversary, Gordon Dewar expressed his thanks to the staff, passengers and emergency services for the irresponse on Saturday, June 30, 2007 Last year the Glaswegian reported that anti-terror organisations and politicians were stunned that staff managed to get the airport, Scotland's busiest, operational just one day after a flaming Jeep packed with gas canisters slammed into the main terminal.
Despite signs of the failed attack being visible, Scots flocked to the airport in the aftermath to jet off for the Fair Fortnight.
More than 180,000 travellers defied the attackers by turning up at Glasgow Airport in the days following the incident, with a clear message that their lives would not be disrupted by terror.
Glasgow Airport has changed 12 months on and Mr Dewar outlined the key investments made by BAA since the attack.
He said: "Glasgow Airport has incurred substantial capital costs as a result of the attack on the terminal.
"Despite this, we have worked hard to deliver improved facilities, at no cost to our passengers, or to the taxpayer,"
Since that attack BAA Glasgow has spent £4 million upgrading the terminal and forecourt, including repairs to the external building and internal areas damaged by smoke and water.
Door 2, the point of impact, has been completely rebuilt.
New access routes have been introduced, allowing motorists free pick up and drop off in car park 2 across from the main terminal.
St Andrew's Drive, the airport's other drop-off point, has also been upgraded.
The final phase of the forecourt investment will see 300 steel bollards installed along the inner forecourt, replacing the temporary barriers introduced following the attack.
Work on the £31million, two-storey skyhub extension is on schedule, with the new domestic arrivals hall due to open in October.
A purpose-built security search area will open a few days later.
Mr Dewar added: "Monday marks the first anniversary of the attack, but for the 5000 staff who work here it's just another working day.
"We'll never forget the events of that day or the tremendous courage of our staff, passengers and emergency services.
"Thanks to their support, we were able to reopen the airport less than 24 hours after the attack.
"This is a matter of real pride for the staff involved. However, one year on, there is no triumphalism, just a quiet determination to get on with the job and deliver for our passengers.
"We have worked hard over the past year to repair, and refurbish, the terminal building and there are now few visible signs of last year's attack.
"I am extremely proud of the team effort that has brought us to this point.
"We are also grateful to our passengers for the patience they have shown over the past year as we carried out these repairs.
The good news is that the work is almost complete."